My favorite part of the Internet is when mega-fans makes awesome things of the things they love. Most of the time if their love is for a video game, and they express it by making a remake or a sequel themselves -- instead of waiting around for the developer to hear their pleas -- it's unceremoniously shut down before it ever sees the light of day. Sometimes, though, it makes it's way through the entire process and is released for all gamers to enjoy; Such is the case for Streets of Rage Remake.
Even more astonishing then the fact that this team of fans got it released is the sheer amount of effort they went to. They didn't have any of the actual game code, and they didn't reverse engineer the game to get it. Instead, they just analyzed everything and attempted to recreate it from scratch. And not only the first game -- they've pretty much remade the entire series in one product.
Here's a list of everything they included, all for free mind you:
- 93 stages in story mode
- 5 stages in extra modes
- 5 stages in the Prototype mod (separate download)
19 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
- SOR1 characters remastered with new moves
- SOR2 characters with new moves
- SOR3 characters with new moves
- New playable characters
- All enemies from SOR1 remastered.
- All enemies SOR2 (RGB color correction).
- All enemies SOR3 (RGB color correction).
- New enemies based on the Game Gear versions and even the cover the game!
- 76 in V5.
- 7 in the Prototype mod.
- Profile Editor
- Color Editor
- Name Editor
- Cutscene Viewer
- Profile Viewer (and commands)
- Image Gallery
- 16 cheats
- Battle Mode
- Survival Mode
- Boss Rush mode
- Events Mode (16 events)
- Volleyball Mode
- Allied cpu mode
- And more than 30 customizable options
It took the man with the vision, known as BoMbErLiNk, and his crew of volunteers eight long years to complete. Fans are truly amazing sometimes.
Download it for free right here.